A reflection by Kevin Rysted, 2017-18 Deaconess Anne House corps member who works with EarthDance Farms!
Begin Reflection Log: 30th minute of the 15th hour of the 27th day of the 10th month of the 17th year of the 1st century of the 3rd millennia of the Common Era.
I am feeling wonderful in this season of life. The leaves are turning, autumn is descending upon us more and more every day, and with every passing week I am reminded of the delicate architecture of a year of service work in an intentional community. This reminder is usually found when I reflect on the assumption that service, like this at least, is a temporary affair. I remember this when I look forward to my next steps, or what my friends are doing across state lines, or what I was doing at this time a year ago.
I will present a few of the thoughts I have entertained: how have I, am I, and will I leave these movements stronger than I found them? Am I growing in faith, or simply paying lip service? What should I prioritize for my path to harden my heart in love--which of the many great options ahead of me is the one I am going to do? Am I paying enough attention and intention to all of the parts of myself that I hope to cleanse in Holy Fire?
Now moving forward onto some suggested questions!
1. Something rewarding about community life: Always having someone to pray with is pretty awesome.
2. Something challenging about community life: Balancing giving someone space/isolation
3. Something I did with the parish I attend: Theology on Tap
4. Something rewarding about work at my placement site: Getting youth excited about fresh, healthy food
5. Something challenging about work at my placement site: Trying to be fully impactful in 32 hours a week
6. A highlight of this month: Fun times with my mom, sister, uncle, and grandpa over my birthday weekend (also with DAH Crew+)
7. A goal I have for next month: Begin reading 1 Kings, From Wild Man to Wise Man, and *hopefully* Slaughterhouse-Five
8. Something I pray or deeply hope for: That my practices and desires will not impede, but rather enhance, my relationships in StL
9. A new practice I’m engaging: before bed: Spanish lesson, reading from a book, and going to bed at a fixed time
Let it be known that this is both a recapitulation of my month for outward digestion by my lovely audience as well as for inward digestion for my spiritual health.
End Reflection Log: 1st minute of the 18th hour of the 27th day of the 10th month of the 17th year of the 1st century of the 3rd millennia of the Common Era.